About Scotland + Venice
Through participation in La Biennale, Scotland + Venice aims to position Scotland internationally as a distinct, dynamic and diverse centre for creative excellence, fostering ambitious, innovative work in the fields of contemporary art and architecture, strengthened through international development, professional dialogue, public engagement and cultural exchange.
- International: To make a critically relevant contribution to international discourse about art and architecture and generate international opportunities for Scotland’s creative sector.
- High quality work: To make a strong, globally relevant and distinctive contribution to La Biennale which showcases the best of Scottish art, architecture and design.
- Raising profile: To strengthen Scotland’s reputation as an ambitious, innovative connected centre for the arts and architecture, internationally open to new ideas and partnerships.
- Public Engagement: Strengthen public interest in and engagement with contemporary art and architecture internationally and in Scotland.
- Development: To support the creative and professional development of students, artists, architects, curators and producers.
- Equalities and sustainability: To maintain and develop a proactive and progressive approach to equalities, diversity and inclusion and sustainability across the project.
- Governance: To develop Scotland + Venice to achieve best value for money with clear governance, management and reporting structures.
Scotland + Venice was founded in 2003 initially to develop and promote the best contemporary art from Scotland on an international stage at the Venice Biennale, which was established in 1895. Since 2008 we have also participated in the Architecture Biennale. There have been 17 presentations overall and more details about the past presentations can be found in our archive.
Scotland participates as part of the Biennale’s Collateral Events programme which offers national as well as international attention and considerable experiences and connections for artists, architects, curators and our many partners. It is a strategic initiative and flagship project for Scotland and our aim is always to make the strongest impact we can within this internationally significant context.
Who We Are
Scotland + Venice is a partnership which comprises, Creative Scotland, British Council Scotland, National Galleries Scotland, Architectures & Design Scotland, V&A Dundee and Scottish Government. The partnership is the main funder and commissioning body, appointing a different curatorial partner or project for each Biennale working with artists and architectural practices.
Scotland + Venice Development Manager